Friday, April 30, 2010

Double Vanilla Cupcakes With Lavender Buttercream Frosting















Cupcakes:
3 cups of flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
12 tbs (3/4) cup of unsalted butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
4 lg eggs
1 1/4 cups milk
2 tsp vanilla ( I didn't measure)

Preheat oven to 350.   In a medium bowl mix dry ingredients throughly.  In a mixing bowl beat sugar and butter until fluffy. Then add eggs 1 at a time.  Then beat in vanilla.  (I did about 1/4 cup of double strength vanilla , you'd do better eye balling it) .  after you've done that beat in dry ingredients slowly.  (a little at a time).  Until thoroughly mixed.  Make sure to scrape the sides in between mixing.  Fill cups half full (batter will be somewhat thick). & Bake for 12 minutes.



Frosting:
I started out making a regular buttercream frosting

you need 1 cup of butter, softened
1 cup of granulated sugar
4 tbs of all purpose flour
1 cup of milk
1 tsp vanilla extract (once again , I used more)
1 tbs crushed lavender
red food coloring
blue food coloring
purple sugar crystals


The first thing I did was, with a mortar and pestle crush the lavender, to be sure all the flavor is released when you put it in the milk.  I poured the milk and then the crushed lavender in a sauce pan and cooked on low for about 15 minutes. until the lavender scent became somewhat strong. (do not overdo the lavender, it will overpower the frosting & the oils will effect how the frosting comes out)  When it is done strain out the lavender, put milk back in the pan and add the flour. keep it on LOW.  It takes a while to thicken, but make sure to keep stiring.While you are waiting on that, in a mixing bowl mix together the sugar and butter until fluffy , then add vanilla mix well , then add the lavender flour mixture.  blend well. (it should be sort of thick & creamy)  I added 3 drops of blue food coloring and 2 red.  I wanted it to be a real faint purple .  Then I sprinkled the top with sugar crystals



DO NOT REFRIGERATE FROSTING! 
I refrigerated the frosting to use the next morning and in the pictures you can see , it made my frosting all discombobulated.   When I first made the frosting it was perfect.  so I dont suggest refrigerating the frosting for more than 5 minutes, depending on how cold the fridge is.  I think once the cupcakes are frosted , n put in the fridge itll be okay but dont refrigerate the frosting by itself, The oils from the butter & lavenders changed the consistency

No comments:

Post a Comment